LEYTONSTONE DAUGHTER CHURCHES
In tracing the development of the district it is perhaps well to mention here the Leytonstone Churches, which have grown from St. John's.
Holy Trinity, Harrow Green, was the first of these to be built. Through the initiative of the Rev. W. Bettison, Vicar of St. John's, and the Rector of Wanstead, Rev. G. S. Fitzgerald, an iron temporary church was erected in 1874. The permanent church was dedicated by Dr. Claughton, Bishop of St. Alban's, on 9th July, 1878, and a parish was assigned, taken from portions of Leyton, Leytonstone and Wanstead.
A still further increase of church accommodation was urgently necessary to meet the rapid growth of population, and in 1880 Services were begun by the clergy of St. John's in an iron building on a site given by Sir Henry Cotton on the Walwood estate. This church was destined to become St. Andrew's and a permanent church was dedicated by Bishop Claughton in 1887. It was constituted a separate Parish on the 29th December 1887.
While the building of St. Andrew's was in progress the clergy of St. John's commenced to hold services in a temporary iron church in Lansdowne Road. Eventually a permanent church, dedicated to St. Margaret, was built in Woodhouse Road and was consecrated by the Bishop of St. Alban's on 28th January 1893.
During this time open-air services were held on Sunday evenings in the Mayville Road district, and steps were taken to erect the small mission church of St. Augustine's which was dedicated in August 1889. This was so successful that a much larger permanent church was built adjoining the other and was dedicated by the Bishop of Barking on 23rd January 1902. The original mission church was then utilised as a parish hall. This was one of the few churches to be destroyed by bombing in the 1914-18 war.
St John the Baptist
Serving God and the Community of Leytonstone for 180 years