ST. JOHN'S OF TO-DAY
Now our history moves forward to the present Church of St. John Baptist.
A proposition to supersede the old building by erecting a new permanent "chapel" with contiguous burial ground was, about 1829-30, taking tangible shape. A Subscription List was opened for the new Chapel, and by the 30th October 1830, nearly £2,500 had been raised. Mr. Cotton of Walwood House and Mr. Davis of "The Pastures", who were later to become the first Churchwardens of St. John's, were among the most generous subscribers.
Mr. Davis offered a piece of land but its position was considered unsuitable-it is interesting to note that the present Methodist Church stands on that site. The site chosen was owned by a Miss Samson, and was bought and presented to H.M. Commissioners for Church building by Mr. Cotton.
So the building of the new Church was set in hand. (Quite recently the present Vicar was presented with the original contract for the building of St. John's.) The first stone was laid by the Rev. Laprimaudaye on the 20th July, 1832, and the new Chapel and burial ground were consecrated and dedicated by the Bishop of London, Dr. Blomfield, on the 31st October, 1833.
The accommodation of the new Chapel was about 600 and the income paid to the "Curate-in-Charge" was £126 per annum. Baptisms and burials were performed, but marriages had to go to Leyton. All fees went to the Vicar of Leyton, as the new building was a Chapel of Ease to Leyton until, on the 3rd February, 1845, at the Court of Buckingham Palace, St. John Baptist, Leytonstone, had an ecclesiastical parish assigned. This consisted of "that portion of the Parish of Leyton to the south-east of Walthamstow, to the east of the brook running across the parish and Grove Green Lane, and to the north-east of Union Lane".
St John the Baptist
Serving God and the Community of Leytonstone for 180 years