ALTERATIONS TO THE CHURCH Part 4
In mentioning the Churchyard, reference may be made to the names of a few well-known people buried there:
The family grave of William Cotton in which also are buried his wife, William Charles Cotton, and Agnes Cotton.
The family grave of Nicholas Charrington, his wife, and several of their children.
Many of the Buxton family. Susannah Barclay. Dr. Stephen Mackenzie, father of Sir Morell Mackenzie.
Madame de Bunsen, a daughter of Mr. Samuel Gurney, and sister of Mrs. Edward North Buxton. At the funeral of Madame de Bunsen in January 1903, a wreath was received from King Edward VII, who in his childhood was under her care.
Baron Ernest de Bunsen, her husband, only survived his wife by three months, and he and two of their children are buried in the same grave.
St. John's Parish Magazine was first issued in January 1880, when possibly a little more than 100 copies per month were sold. After Canon Brown became Vicar, it is recorded that the issue had multiplied five times during a short period. During past years the Parish Magazine has recorded the progress of all efforts undertaken for the advancement of the church, and the bound copies kept in the Vestry preserve these for all time.
We have traced our history over the years, and as we look at the Church of St. John Baptist, Leytonstone, it is still recognisable as almost the same as the original, the architect planned. We are going to have a hard task to keep it this way, yet we are pledged to do so, because we are conscious of the heritage with which we have been entrusted.
We are only going to do so, if our faith in Jesus Christ continues to grow. Faith comes first and is an attitude from which will proceed our activity. And so now, we look forward, "Strong in the strength that God supplies through His eternal Son. Our tower points towards Heaven, where our true happiness lies.
Mr. Davis gave the original church clock at the same time as the bells. It had only one dial and was wound once every week; large weights ran down inside the Tower and they took some time and labour to wind up.
In December 1899, Mr. T. F. Saunderson defrayed the cost of fitting the clock to chime, in memory of his wife. This work was done by Mr. A. B. Wheeler, who for many years had the care of the clock, as was also the fitting of two new dials in 1897. At the same time as the new dials were fitted a time switch was inserted so that the clock would be illuminated at night. All this commemorated Queen Victoria's Jubilee. The purchase of an electric clock to take the place of the original one was undertaken at the Coronation of King George VI.
Linked with another Coronation-that of King Edward VII’s the fact that trees were planted round the churchyard at that time, to replace the elms which had originally fringed the Church Lane side. They had become dangerous and had to be cut down.